Under Policy, you can create policy rules for each protected SaaS application. You can apply a rule to all users or a specific group of users that you define.
Protected and Licensed Users
- Only user accounts (user mailboxes) with a valid license are protected by Avanan.
- Every user account with a Microsoft/Google/other license to any protected applications consumes an Avanan license from the quota.
- If both the Google and Microsoft applications are protected, every user associated with a licensed email address will be counted so that the same person can consume two licenses.
- To restrict the list of protected users, see Limiting license consumption.
- Shared mailboxes, Group mailboxes, and other aliases will be protected but will not be counted for licensing purposes. Licenses for these mailboxes should NOT be purchased.
- At the moment, users with licenses only for Microsoft Teams will be protected but will not show up as consuming licenses. However licenses for these users should be purchased.
- Avanan portal sync users every 24 hours with Microsoft and Google accounts. So, deleting or adding a user might take up to 24 hours to affect the license count.
Limiting license consumption and security inspection to a specific group
After activating the SaaS application, Avanan inspects emails, messages and files for the selected users in the Microsoft 365/Google account.
To limit the license consumption and security inspection to a specific group:
- Sign in to the Avanan portal.
- Navigate to Configuration > SaaS Applications.
- Click Configure for Office 365 Mail or Gmail.
- In the pop-up that opens, click Configure groups filter.
- Select a group selection.
- All organization - Licenses will be assigned automatically to your user mailboxes.
- Specific group - Enter the name of the group in Office 365 or Google Workspace containing the user mailboxes or groups of user mailboxes you wish to protect with Avanan.
- Click OK.
Manual changes to license assignment
After configuring the licenses for a specific group or to the entire organization, you can choose to assign or remove licenses to specific user mailboxes, if required.
To make manual changes, navigate to Configuration > Licenses.
The Licenses Configuration screen shows the usage status of your licenses and the individual licensing status of user mailboxes.
The License Status column shows if a license covers the user mailbox. To add or remove the license to a user mailbox, click Assign/Un-Assign.
Note – You can select multiple user mailboxes and assign or un-assign a license. The license assignment might take up to four hours to become effective.