Even though summer feels like it just started, plenty of school districts across the country are gearing up for a new school year.
As districts put together back-to-school shopping lists, one thing needs to be at the forefront: Security.
According to the Multi-State Information Sharing and Analysis Center (MS-ISAC), a federally-funded organization that helps improve cybersecurity for state and local governments, ransomware attacks on K-12 schools are projected to increase by 86% in 2021. That's right. 86%.
That comes on the heels of a 19% increase between 2019-2020, according to the group. Now, it's expecting attacks to reach another dimension.
There are a few reasons behind the increase, according to the MS-ISAC. One, schools may have small IT teams that have varying responsibilities, making it difficult for one person to handle a massive threat that gets past huge IT teams.
Two, hackers think that, in the rush to get back to regular schooling, schools may be more willing to pay up. And third, there's plenty of valuable information about students and teachers held at schools.
Investing in email security now can save a whole lot of money later. With Avanan's tailored solution for education, a lot of headaches can be avoided.
Specifically, with Avanan, you can:
- Set proactive anti-phishing policies for faculty, students, and alumni — or use our recommended out-of-box configurations
- Specifically protect against spear-phishing and impersonation attacks from V.I.P. staff such as the superintendent, principal, dean, and professors
- Create self-triggering remediation workflows to quarantine malicious links and attachments
- Remove known threats from inboxes using Search & Destroy technology
- Automatically identify behavioral and systemic anomalies
- Gain immediate visibility and insights into your environment
- Significantly reduce phishing emails and clicks from students and faculty
Ransomware attacks could particularly spike at the beginning of the school year. This is why it's imperative to begin protection now.
Learn more about Avanan's protection for educational institutions and start the school year off right.